The Rev. Gishun Yamamoto, who was registered with the Daigo Brunch of Shingon
Buddhism, in October 1911, founded the Liliha Shingonji Mission or known
at that time as the Daigo Bunkyoin. In the year 1926 during the term of
the Second Bishop Koo Kameyama, with the establishment of the Organization
of Shingon Temples in Hawaii, Liliha Shingonji was included as an official
member of the organization.
Rev. Horyu Asaeda succeeded Rev. Yamamoto after her retirement in 1926.
During World War Ⅱ Rev. Asaeda interned and later returned to Japan. Then
Rev. Kakusho Asano was assigned as minister after a while being without
a resident minister. Bishop Mitsumyo Tottori was assigned as Resident minister
after his retirement as the Sixth Bishop of the Shingon Mission in Hawaii.
Rev. Jitsunin Kawanishi was assigned as the Assistant minister under Bishop
Tottori and later become the Resident Minister.
One of the specialties of Liliha Shingonji is that in order to spread the
teachings beyond the local Japanese community, an English-speaking minister
was assigned here.
Haleiwa Shingon Mission
66-469 Paalaa Rd.
Haleiwa, Hawaii, 96712
Haleiwa has recently become a popular area for tourist going the North
Shore area. The start of the Haleiwa Koshoji is when the Rev. Gido Ikeda,
who came to the area as immigrant laborers, started missionary activities
from a rented house. Rev. Ikeda was posthumously officially appointed as
missionary by then Head Superintendent Bishop Zenko Kusanagi on the occasion
of the 50th Anniversary Service in 1966. After Rev. Ikeda, Rev. Tachika
and Rev. Hogan Yujiri served head ministers.
During the term of the fourth head minister, Rev. Kogon Kawamura, the present
temple was built and officially the name “Koshoji” was used. The temple
property was purchased and the Haleiwa Koshoji was recognized as a Religious
organization during the term of the fifth head minister, Rev. Shodo Kawamura.
The new minister’s residence was built during the sixth head minister,
Rev. Taizen Tamai, and activities of the temple were going well but with
the outbreak of World War Ⅱ the seventh head minister, then Rev. Mitsumyo
Tottori, suffered considerably to protect and maintain the temple. The
eighth head minister, Rev. Shindo Wasai expanded the temple. Rev. Taiken
Akiyama was assigned since 1958, expanded and renovated the temple and
expanded temple activities. He has also built the “Haleiwa Senior Center”
to benefit the social welfare of the community.
Koboji Shingon Mission
1223-B North School St.
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96817
The late Bishop Kakuo Okimura founded the Koboji Shingon Mission on June
s, 1947 at Kaena Lane in Nuuanu. Then Chief Priest of Koyasan Shingon Buddhism
Archbishop Shokai Wada presided over the consecration Blessing ceremony
when Koboji was moved to Vineyard Street location in 1952. With the ever-growing
congregation Koboji was moved to the present location in 1958. On June
29, of the same year, the Bishop Tetsuei Katoda with the assistance of
all Hawaii ministers presided over the Consecration Blessing of the new
temple building. The second head minister, Bishop Eisho Okimura, had the
trust of the people. He put all his effort into finding new ways to minister
to people and to expand the church even further. Unfortunately, he passed
away on January 20, 1996. Rev. Dean Zenei Okimura like his father has a
very strong trust of the people and is making effort to expand the church
even more. In order to accommodate the growing congregation, the Koboji
Shingon Mission will be moving and building a large temple.