FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).
Wailuku Shingon Mission
Rev. Hogan Yujiri founded what would latter be known as the Wailuku Shingon
Mission in 1922. He first borrowed a spare room from a strong follower,
Mr. Kaichi Konishi and established a temporary missionary center. When
the opportunity arose he built the temple at present location.
In 1925, the name “Shushinzan Komyoji” was bestowed on to the temple. Wailuku
Komyoji continues to this day, because the many ministers were able to
carry out missionary activities due the strength of the congregation and
the solid foundation of support laid down by the previous generations.
Lahaina Shingon Mission
The town of Lahaina prospered as the capital of the Hawaii in the 18th
Century. After the capital was moved Lahaina declined, but after the ware
due to resort development the old whaling town of Lahaina was revived.
Rev. Hogan Yujiri, from Yamaguchi Prefecture and who was a registered priest
of the Daigo School of Shingon Buddhism, immigrated to Hawaii. While working
on the sugar plantation, he slowly gathered believers in Odaishisama. In
1902, when the opportunity was right, he rented a 10ft.square house, and
his followers started worship Odaishisama. This is the beginning of the
Lahaina temple and is the oldest Shingon temple in Hawaii. The second head
minister Rev. Horyu Fuchigami protected and guided the temple for twenty
years. The third minister the Rev. Hogaku Koshiyama built a temple building
ten meters in length and in 1926 the name “Mauisan Hokoji” was bestowed
on the Temple.
The Lahaina Shingon Mission still remains in one corner of the town of Lahaina and the temple activities resolve around the Japanese community in Lahaina.
Kula Shofukuji Shingon Mission
The town of Kula is located about mid way up the slope Mt. Haleakala. Its
rich grazing lands and vegetable farms stretch far and wide. The climate
of Kula remind one of autumn in Japan.
Rev. Kakudo Nakatsukasa, under the direction of Rev. Hogan Yujiri, in 1906
with the cooperation of fellow believers in Odaishi-sama established a
Daishiko in Kula. Later the Daishido was moved and rebuilt when a four-acre
parcel of land was purchased. The name “Ryuunzen Shofukuji” was bestowed
on to the temple during the term of Bishop of Koo Kameyama and was registered
with the Shingon Mission of Hawaii.
With the support ofKula farmers, the Kula Shofukuji Obon is very popular
with everyone in the community.